Bill Nichols

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hunter Mahan rips HP Byron Nelson Championship: ``It's a beating''


FORT WORTH _ Colleyville’s Hunter Mahan said he’s not playing next week’s HP Byron Nelson Championship because ``It’s a beating.’’ 
 
Mahan said the primary reason he would skip the event was that the TPC Four Seasons at Las Colinas does not suit his game.

``I don’t like it tee to green,’’ Mahan said after shooting 69 at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. ``I don’t like the way the fairways are shaped. It’s hard to hit a fairway for me. I don’t want to rip it up or rip up the tournament, but it’s a place where I don’t play well, it doesn’t suit me, it’s a pain in the butt to play. It’s just a beating.’’

Mahan was a glaring absence on the official commitment list that came out Friday. The McKinney High graduate has played seven straight Nelsons.

At No. 18 in the World Rankings, he could have strengthened the field, which has only one top-10 player (No. 10 Matt Kuchar). But his best finish is a tie for 42nd.

``Seven years and 42nd is my best, that’s says it all,’’ Mahan said. ``I’m not Tiger Woods. I’m not bringing in the economic impact that he does, so I don’t feel like they’re losing a whole lot with me not being there. It’s tough because I want to play well. You’ve got family and friends out, you want to do well and I’ve just never played well.’’

Mahan said the remodeling job of Weibing-Wolfard Golf Design in 2007 didn’t change his view of the layout.

``I don’t like the way they redid the greens. I just don’t think they’re very good,’’ he said. ``He (D.A. Weibring) couldn’t do much. The course is what it is and you can’t really do much about it.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment