Bill Nichols

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shawn Stefani shoots 60 to lead Texas State Open

TYLER _ Baytown's Shawn Stefani shot 10-under 60 at The Cascades Club on Saturday to take a three-stroke lead in the 41st Chesapeake Energy Texas State Open.

The journeyman pro made 10 birdies and no bogeys to reach 16 under through three rounds. Randy Lowry of Spring shot 65 to enter the final round at 13 under, two strokes better than Michael Whitehead of Sugar Land.  Kolton Crawford of Mansfield, the low amateur, is in fourth at 8 under.

Stefani matched his age with a front-nine 29, and then closed with three birdies and an eagle over the final five holes. He capped the remarkable day with a 22-foot downhill eagle putt on 18.

``I was in the zone before I teed off,'' Stefani said. ``To shoot 10 under in this event means more to me than any other round I've ever played because I love this tournament, and I've got good memories of this course.''

Stefani tied for second in 2008, and was seventh last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment